Wednesday, May 12, 2010

last day in Rome, and a trip to Ostia Antica

Today we got up and tried our hand at buses and trains. We took a bus to the Metro Station, and then a train out towards the ocean. We stopped at Ostia Antica, an ancient Roman port town.
Ostia is really amazingly well preserved and HUGE. We walked and walked. I don't know that I'll ever get used to the humidity, its very sticky and hot here.
There were lots of kids on field trip to the ruins. We also had the displeasure of running into a haughty group of french teenagers on the train back. A woman offered me a seat because Emma was falling asleep. The teenagers were mad as they wanted to sit on their boyfriend's laps, and so I was taking a seat that stopped their play. Vi was pretending to snore, and I caught enough of the conversation to know that they were making fun of us. Lovely. I guess it doesn't matter what nationality you are you can still be a haughty teenager :)
Tonight we have to somehow pack all our stuff back into our four checked bags and 5 carryons and make our way home. We are ready to come home. Its been a wonderful vacation, but I miss eating at home, my pillow, our bed, and understanding what everyone is saying!
I'll load pics of today in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment